The project involved the construction and adaptive re use of a derelict Convent building to a new Primary Care Centre in Ballyshannon, Co. Donegal. The existing building was originally made up of an 1883 Convent, a 1960’s secondary school and a single storey link between the two wings.
The Primary Care Centre project restores the original envelope and roof of the convent, whilst dropping a new steel frame structure and floor plates internally to achieve building layouts. Original building elements were removed and reused. The 1960’s building is re-imagined with the provision of a new structure and a new external skin whilst the single storey extension was removed and replaced with a new 4 storey glass link to provide a cohesive transition across the building plan.